Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Welcome

Welcome to my blogsite!
This is very exciting as im embarking on a project to grow our own vegies, eggs and meat.
With 6 children it makes sense to grow our own.
Not only is it cheaper but it also gives me peace of mind that what my family is eating is chemical free and tastes awesome.

Im also a bit of a greenie (only just) as believe in sustainability and reducing our impact on natural resources.

I grew up on a small property in the Riverina NSW and we grew all our own meat,eggs,fruit and vegetables.
Water was precious as it recieves very low rainfall and very high summer temps.

Ok so what am I starting with??

My hubby is a builder so he will be making me some raised garden beds as the soil here is well just plain dirt and rocks and could be described as concrete dust.

5 of 6 children to help with the planting and weeding and harvesting of crops (should everything go to to plan) and their bathwater to water the crops.

5 Hyline commerical hens,3 ISA Brown commerical hens,11 Hyline chicks (hens),1 Campine chick(hopefully a hen), and 3 crossbred chicks (also hoping they are hens maybe 1 rooster).Lots of chicken poo and compost soil from previous chicken keeping attempts.

Plenty of space and sun.

So fingers crossed the beds will take shape soon and we can begin!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment